Michigan became a state in 1837, and by the late 1860's the ground that is now considered Buckley was being bought up for three main reasons; homesteads, logging and farming. Settlement lands were purchased for $1.15- $1.35 per acre, and the timber and farm land was sold at around $5.00-$10.00 per acre. The development of Buckley was largely due to Edward Buckley's desire to expand his business ventures. In the 1880's-1890's Edward bought out Ruddock Gifford and Company and began the development of the railroad to aid in the timber industry. This business was profitable and debt free for 20 years, and the rail extended all the way to Traverse City. In 1906 McBride mill became the first building in Buckley with electricity and by March 1907 Buckley was incorporated. In 1909 the railroad expansions had become so vast that you could travel to almost any place within the United States. The cut timber was eventually shipped to Manistee and the forests eventually ran out of timber. In 1920 the Buckley mill burned and by January of 1925 the train ceased to run. In 1926 the track and locomotives were scrapped.